Saturday, May 19, 2012

Catching up & more travel: Silver Springs, Md., Beer Scene



It’s been a while but I’ve been on the road. I know, no excuse but I’m sorry. Coming soon will be a read on some great bars and places in Philadelphia, a revisit to Long Beach, Calif., and the Seattle/Port Angeles, Wash., area. But first I need to catch up.

I drove up to Silver Springs for a week-long class on April 8. Being Easter and the fact that it was Maryland where you can’t get a beer in a grocery store I was at a loss. I needed to stock the fridge in the hotel room for the week and didn’t have any options. I decided to wander and see if I could find a store that was open.

Thank the gods for Adega Wine Cellars & Cafe. Not only were they open on Easter Sunday but they had some great beer. After grabbing an Oliver Breweries 19 Anniversary Stout (which was awesome by the way) to sip on and buying some Port City Brewing Essential Pale Ale, a Leffe Blonde and few others that I have not yet consumed, I headed off to get dinner.

My choice for the evening was the Fire Station 1 Restaurant and Brewing Co. The food here is ok, typical bar food and the beer was the same as I remember from the first time I was there. I had:

fire house 1
Daily Crisis IPA
Avenue Golden Ale
Something Red
Stoney’s Stout

I was not a huge fan of their beers…sorry.

A brief stop at McGinty’s Public House for a Port City Porter and I was back to my hotel.
The week didn’t go well since my class was canceled as I walked in the door so I headed home.

A quick shout-out and honorable mention goes out to Whole Foods in Alexandria, Va., for having a great beer selection and a growler filling station…very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment