Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Anchor Chucker - Win a bottle of homebrew

Anchor Chucker: n. A person who gives up being a Chief Petty Officer for better pay. (see Warrant Officer)

There are two schools of  thought when it comes to the enlisted career path in the Coast Guard, you move through the ranks of being a Chief Petty Officer or you go for Warrant Officer. Neither is the right or wrong path but there are a lot of people out there to tell you otherwise. Whether you believe in "Once a Chief, always a Chief" or not, this beer is named for all of those who passed on their anchors to a new breed as they moved up to bigger things.

The name is in jest but I picture it as a "Real Men of Genius" type beer. I would like to reach out to my readers for an inspirational description. The prize for the best one will be a bottle of homebrew shipped direct to you. So put on your thinking caps and help me write a funny homage to those who have chucked the anchor...this beer's for them. Leave a comment below or email me your entry.

This is an experimental single malt and single hop ale brewed with a touch of honey and Cooper's Ale yeast.

I looked at this as a three continent brew. I used Bohemian Pilsner malt from Europe, El Dorado hops from North America and Cooper's Ale yeast from Australia.

Here is the recipe.

When I brewed I was worried that it wasn't going to turn out. I somehow miscalculated the liquid amounts and over topped the carboy before I added my yeast. Don't know how I did it but...what can you do?

It actually turned out really tasty. I did add a little too much honey at bottling so it pours with a very lively head. Once it settles down though it turns into a great summer session beer.






No comments:

Post a Comment