Saturday, January 28, 2012

Long Beach Beer Scene: Belmont Brewing Company

Sorry for no posts last week but I was on the road; and what trip it was. I figured I  should share some of my experiences and thoughts about some of the places I visited.

This was the first time I had ever been to Long Beach, CA by myself. I was there for work but I still had a few moment to check out the craft beer scene there. My first stop was at the Belmont Brewing Company.

I met an old friend at the BBC for dinner the night I arrived in Long Beach. Located at the Belmont Pier in Long Beach it was about two miles from my hotel. I lucked out and found parking a few doors down on the street.

The outside look for the place was warm and inviting as was the bar area. We all sat on the patio to enjoy the great weather and the awesome views of the beach and port at night. Unfortunately I didn't think to take a photo of the view, sorry.

I ordered their beer sampler and the American Style Kobe Beef Burger. The burger was good, a little dry, but tasty. The atmosphere on the deck was warm and inviting and I didn't have any issues with the service as some have reported in reviews.

Long Beach, CA
Clockwise: Strawberry Blonde, Ale of the Month,
Top Sail, Marathon, Pale Ale, Long Beach Crude
As for the beer the sampler gave me a great look at all of their brews.

Marathon - Light and sweet. It was ok. Drinkable


Strawberry Blonde - Tasted weird like dish water and light strawberry. I wish I had written down the comment I said at dinner about it. I really didn't like this one


Pale Ale - Standard California Pale Ale. Much more enjoyable than the Marathon well balanced.


Top Sail - Amber ale again nothing that was memorable but not bad.


Ale of the month - Wish I could remember what this was. I think it was a red.

Long Beach Crude - This by far was my favorite. Great name. It was well balanced, not too much of a charcoal flavor like you can get with some stouts. Wish I could have brought some home with me.

This was the first time I decided to do a review of a brewery...lesson learned; bring a notebook. I had every intention of going back to my room and at least writing down my thoughts on the restaurant and beer but I didn't and I'm sorry. I promise to do better next trip.

Stay tuned for the next post about my adventure at the Yard House.

No comments:

Post a Comment