Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Back to Ft. Dix





I had to do a quick trip back to Fort Dix, N.J. a few weeks ago. This gave me a chance to revisit some of my favorite places around the Philadelphia and Fort Dix area.

triumphMy first stop was Iron Hill Brewery, I had been here back in April and fell in love with their beers. This second visit was no disappointment.

I started the night with their Anvil Ale, a version of an English Bitter. The chicken pot pie was good and mixed well with the Special Belge from Brasserie Dupont. Rounding out the night was the Hefeweizen and Hopfenweizen both good for the end of a good meal.

After I finished training I was able to run into Philadelphia and visit the Eastern State Penitentiary. This old prison turned museum is a must see. It’s architecture and abandoned feel give it an air of being haunted. I didn’t see anything on this visit but I can see where people get the idea. This location has been featured several times on Ghost Hunters and other paranormal shows and until you actually visit you can’t get a true sense of what the place is like.

eastern stateMy next stop was the City Tavern, a location where you can imagine yourself drinking with the likes of Jefferson and Adams. I had a taster of four beers named for some of the founding fathers and based on recipes from the period.

A brief visit to the Irish-Pol followed. They have a good tap list with the feel of a real local bar where you’re welcome but eyed unless you’re accepted. My favorite type of watering hole.

The last stop for the night was back at the Triumph Brewery. This is a great place for food and good beer. The highlight of the evening was the Hopapolooza. This homebrew based beer won a competition at the brewery and was being featured at the time of my visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment