Friday, February 10, 2012

Long Beach, CA, Beer Scene: The Congregation Ale House

I saved the best for last when it comes to the Long Beach beer scene. Due to unexpected circumstances I ended up with a day off to myself. After a good work out and taking care of a phone call to the Yard House (see the previous post here and the follow up here) I went out to explore.

Cupid After a good work out my first stop was Rock Bottom Brewery. I just stopped in for one beer at this nation-wide chain. At least I know what I’m going to get when I go to a Rock Bottom. The beer is usually pretty ok (read as “I’ll drink it but it’s not my first choice”). I sat at the bar and tried to decide what to have.

I decided on their Brewmaster Select tap which happened to have the seasonal I had been eying on the menu. Cupid’s Arrow is a red malty smooth beer that made me think of Valentine’s Day. Wish I could have stayed there and drank it all day. Kudos to brewmaster Hayley Shine has a winner with this one.

After walking around for a bit and a brief stop at Cold Stone Creamery for some salted-caramel and twix ice cream I went to meat some friends at the Congregation Ale House.

Stubbes
Let me start by saying any place that calls happy hour “daily mass” wins cool point in my book. If I could claim beer appreciation as a religion I would be at least a deacon. Double cool points for “Midnight Mass” Sundays through Thursdays and Palm Sunday ($4 Palm by Palm Breweries).

This local chain of three locations has a great theme of a church for beer appreciation. The interior of the Long Beach location has high ceilings, exposed beams and a great stained glass piece behind the taps at the bar. The bar is small with about eight chairs and embedded chill coasters to keep your beer cold. It was funny to watch people try and move the metal plates as if they were paper.

The food is all ala carte but their fries and the port wine burger special was amazing…it made my night. As for the beer they have a great medium selection of bottles and rotating drafts.

Shallow GraveI began the night with a Flanders Red, one of my favorite styles of beer, Strubbes Grand Cru Oud Bruin Flemish Red. Cherry, smooth and a little sour mixed with champagne-like bubbles.

Beer number two was ordered just because of its name. Shallow Grave Porter by Heretic Brewing was a robust porter that lived up to its name. Another beer I wish I could drink all night this one was caramel and chocolate with a smooth mouth feel. Reminded me of the earthy smell of a fresh dug grave…good Samhain beer.

Beer number three was my disappointment for the evening. I usually like a scotch ale but the Scotch Isle Ale by Craftsman Brewing really did not sit well with me. The flavor seemed off with an astringent taste. This was one of the few times I’ve ever left a beer sitting on the bar. Sorry guys…

Scotch Isle AleWell that’s my beer trip to Long Beach, CA. Overall good beer selections that will make your time worthwhile. It’s always good to see old friends, catch up and share sea stories.

Coming up soon on the blog…bottling your first homebrew, labels and bottle fermentation. Stay tuned and remember if you don’t like the beer you’re drinking…brew your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment