Monday, February 6, 2012

Long Beach, CA, Beer Scene: The Pike

Met some friends at The Pike Restaurant and Bar in Long Beach, CA. The place is a hipster dive with great food and a small microbrew beer selection.
the pikeWhen we first arrived the place was relatively empty. The decoration is tchotchke nautical with some great tunes on the jukebox.
I started the night with a Red Seal Ale by North Coast. The Red Seal is a nice amber that I don’t find too hoppy.
As the place began to fill up we grabbed a table and I grabbed a Magic Hat #9 by Magic Hat Brewing. I can get Magic Hat anytime here in North Carolina but I’ll drink it when I really don’t see anything else I want.
My friends spent the evening with several pitchers of Pabst Blue Ribbon. I remember when Pabst actually brewed this in Milwaukee not too far from the Pabst Mansion. Now the Pabst Brewery is based out of Los Angeles…kinda reminds me of the salsa commercial where the guy says it’s made in New York City…not quite how it should be.
The food was very good and a good price. I had the fish and chips.
The one detractor for me was by 9 p.m. it was crowded and when the DJ started too loud. The music and crowd were interesting but not really my scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment