Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Midnight Sun Brewing Company

While I was in Anchorage I had a chance to visit the Midnight Sun Brewing Company for some food and beer.
Flat Top
It was a very windy but beautiful day in Anchorage and my travel companion and I decided we needed to go for a hike and some beer. A recent spout of heavy rain had caused flooding around the area and we had doubts about going to Eagle River so we set off to find some alternatives. After a brief stop for some coffee I popped into the visitor center for some advice.
After some discussion we decided to try hiking Flat Top.

Located in the Chugach State Park, Flat Top has some great views of Cook Inlet and Anchorage and is criss crossed with miles of trails.

beerAfter nearly getting blown off the top of the mountain several times, several hours of hiking and some windburn we decided to go get some lunch.

Oh, if we knew then what we know now...
The Midnight Sun Brewing Company wasn't giving tours that day and we had no idea they served food. The place is off Diamond Blvd near the Diamond Center Mall.

We bellied up to the counter and ordered some custom tasters. Midnight Sun makes some great, award winning beers and we had 12 of them as samples that day. Their beers are as wild and wonderful as the land they're made in.

cheese and meatThe menu is seasonal and local with sandwiches and a daily hot special. I was a little hungry so I ordered the brewer's plate with meat to go with the beers. This had to be the best cheese and meat plate I've ever had. The food other patrons were eating looked just as good. Both of us wished we had waited to eat lunch.


I highly recommend visiting if you're in Anchorage and if you're not at least try and get some of their beer. You can't go wrong with an Oosik and a Panty Peeler.

If you don't know what an oosik is check this out...I've seen the oosik collection at Chicago's Field Museum. It's not on public display.

No comments:

Post a Comment