Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Chicago

Kuma's Corner
Kuma's Corner

There are so many great beer places in my hometown and each visit limits me in time as to where I can go visit. We hit up a few old favorites and one or two new places while I was in town for a break recently. 
My first stop is always Binny’s Beverage Depot…while it’s a mega booze store they have a wide selection of both my two favorite things…beer and port. After filling my larter for the week and emptying my checkbook by a hundred dollars I was off to explore the city.
I always have a few stops I always need to make the first is Central Gyros. While this is not a beer nirvana it is an awesome greek restaurant near my house that my family has been going to for many years. A greek beer, some egg lemon soup, some flaming cheese and a gyro are a great way to start a visit home. 
Paterno’s is the place for a tasty treat called an In-cred-a-ble. This sandwich can be italian beef, italian sausage or both on garlic bread with melted cheese…my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It’s a bar so while you’re there grab a 312 by Goose Island or a Leinenkugel’s both wash this sandwich down nicely.
If you’ve never done the Half Acer Beer Company tour you should. People line up down the block for the opportunity to get inside and tour this small craft brewery near Lincoln Square. They have been canning for a couple of years now and they make some great beer. 
We stopped at Atlas Brewing, a new neighborhood brewpub, to give it a try. Problem was it was so new that they didn’t have their liquor permit yet so no beer for us…bummer. Which lead us to Goose Island. 
The Goose is loose used to be a reality. I remember when you could get some great chips, food and beer at Goose Island before heading next door to play mini golf. Times and the neighborhood have significantly changed. The beer at this landmark brewpub has changed over the years. Some great brews have come and some have gone. Since they have recently been bought by a big beer company we have noticed a change in quality. It hasn’t gone downhill per-say but it is starting down a slope…let’s hope this is not a trend.
Finally, I had an opportunity to visit a triple-d location. For fans of Diners, Drive-in’s and Dives you may recognize Kuma’s Corner. Their massive burgers, great food and beer selection make this a very popular place for lunch or dinner. They have several rules which need to be obeyed:
1) We do not take reservations.
2) We will not “put on the game, bro”
3) No music requests.
4) No Minors after 10pm.
5) Our kitchen is only 16×6. Please be patient.
Just order a cold one, something hot to go with it and enjoy. This town is a must visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment